Among my frequently requested recipes is ‘Yum woon sen”. I have shared the recipe in my blog before but this time I want to also share the recipe video.
The word “Yum” in Thai language means spicy salad, and it’s as delicious as it sounds. There are so many varieties of salad and you can add almost anything you like in the dish. “Woonsen’ is glass noodle, sometimes called “mung” which means “noodles” as is made from mung bean flour.
Let’s look more closely at the ingredients.
1 pack (40g) of glass noodles (soaked in water for 7 mins)
1/4 c. peanuts, fried
1/4 c. dried shrimps, fried
1/4 c. garlic
100g pork mince
5 chopped chilli
5 Dried chilli
2 tbsp Lime juice, to taste
2 tbsp Fish sauce, to taste
1/4red onion, sliced
1 tbsp pickled garlic juice
1/4 c. chopped spring onion, chopped Asian celery or coriander.
1. Soak dried noodles in the water for around 7 minutes.
2. Chop spring onion, coriander, red onion, chilli and set aside.
3. Pound the garlic or you can roughly chop.
4. Heat around ¾ cup oil in a small saucepan and fry the garlic until brown.
5. Remove the garlic with around 2 tbsp. of oil. Set aside.
6. Fry dried chilli, peanuts and dried shrimps. Set aside.
7. Remove the oil from the saucepan then add minced pork with a little bit of water. I also added some seasoning powder to enhance the flavour, but this is optional. When the pork is cooked put in a bowl and set aside.
8. Use the scissors to cut the glass noodle so it is easy to eat.
9. Boil the water and then cook the noodles until translucent. Drain and run through with cold water.
10. Add the noodles in a bowl then add garlic and oil to the noodles and mix well.
11. Add pork then season with lime juice, fish sauce and pickled garlic juice, and taste until satisfied. Note: This recipe has no added sugar. The only sweetness comes from pickled garlic juice, but after trying it you can add sugar if desired.
12. Add chilli, fried dried chilli, fried peanuts, fried dried shrimps, sliced onion, chopped spring onion and chopped Asian celery. Then gently mix and serve.