Talking about Thai food, most foreigners might think of Pad Thai, Pad Thai is famous all around the world and it is popular among Thais too. Pad Thai is also a perfect vegetarian dish, just omit meat and substitute soy sauce for fish sauce. Here is Charinya’s version of Pad Thai
Ingredients (1-2 serves)
Big servings of Pad Thai are unusual, because getting the flavour right is easier when cooking just 1-2 serves per time.
• 100 g dried rice noodle, soaked in preparation as directed on the packet.
• 4-5 tbsp Pad Thai Sauce
• 8-10 prawns peeled or any meat you prefer (omit if you prefer vegetarian)
• 1/2 cup firm/hard tofu (use more for vegetarian)
• 2 tablespoon cooking oil
• 1/2 cup bean sprouts, plus extra as a serving garnish
• 1 tablespoon preserved radish, (skip this ingredient if you can’t find it)
• 1/4 cup garlic chives chopped 3cm long plus extra for serving. Substitute with spring onion if you can’t find it, but I’m lucky enough to have it in my garden
• 1 egg (when I cracked open the egg for this there were 2 yorks in there as you will see in the picture. Amazing!!)
• 2 tbsp crushed peanuts plus extra for serving
• Ground dried red chili to serve
• 1 wedge of lime to serve
• 1 tsp sugar to serve (optional)
1. Heat up a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil.
2. Add tofu until cooked brown then add prawns to half cook.
3. Move the tofu and prawns to one side of the pan then add egg. Wait for a minute then scramble egg.
4. Move the prawns and tofu back and fry the mix.
5. Add the per prepared noodle then pour the Pad Thai sauce over all and mix well. Stir-fy quick and spread the noodle over the pan to distribute the heat right though.
6. Add crushed peanuts and preserved radish (if you desired). Mix well for a minute.
7. Add bean sprouts and garlic chive. Mix quickly through the noodles then turn the heat off.
To serve, put Pad Thai on the plate and top with extra bean sprouts and garlic chive. Alongside the Pad Thai arrange ground red chilli, crushed peanuts ,wedge of lime and white sugar (optional)