Pla merk pad phong gari ปลาหมึกผัดผงกะหรี่ . You may not see this menu a lot in Thai restaurants abroad, but in Thailand if you go to a seafood restaurant they will definitely have it on the menu. Usually this dish will feature crab as the protein, however when using calamari it tastes just as good.
You will need
•300g calamari cut into your preferred shape
•3 tbsp vegetable oil
•1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
•1 bunch Asian celery (the smell is stronger than normal celery, but it adds originality) cut about 2cm long
•1/2 onion, cut into chunks
•1 long red chilli sliced diagonally
This is the sauce mix
•1 tbsp yellow curry powder
•3 tbsp evaporated milk (normal milk is fine if necessary)
•1 tbs of chilli paste in soya bean oil (see photo). Do not be concerned it doesn’t taste that hot:-)
•1-2 tbsp fish sauce, to taste (start with 1 then you can adjust later)
•1 tbsp oyster sauce
•1 tbsp sugar
- In a small bowl combine the sauce-mix and whisk an egg in as well.
- Heat the wok or fry pan and add oil and garlic. Fry the garlic for a few minutes, then add onion.
- Add calamari and stir fry again for about 2 minutes before lowering the heat and adding the sauce mix with egg that you prepared earlier.
- Stir fry until cooked, then taste and adjust for the desired seasoning.
- Add Asian celery and red chillies, then turn off the heat.
Serve hot with steamed jasmine rice!